Return to Forum Index
FAQsFAQs  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   SearchSearch   GroupsGroups   ASCA Web siteASCA

How Can I Help My Survivor Friend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Return to Forum Index -> Friends and Family of Survivors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Novum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: How Can I Help My Survivor Friend?

Hi there, my best friend is a survivor of child sexual abuse, committed against her by her grandfather. She has a lot of problems because of this, like depression and low self esteem, but she is trying to heal from it.
Tonight she told me she wants to take her grandfather to court over what he did to her. She also said that because of this the majority of her extended family is turning against her. I fully support her decision, and I've [i]told [/i]her I'm so proud of her, but I don't know how to [i]show [/i]it. I have told her that if she does get to court and if I am permitted to by the court, and if she wants me there, I would sit in the court for emotional support. I always tell her I'm there to listen to her if she needs to talk about [i]anything[/i] (she rarely takes me up on this though). But I feel like I need to do more to help her and I'm really not sure what to do or how to do it.
She's only 17 and I'm (nearly) 19. Neither of us has much money or freedom (both living with our parents, still in school, on restricted licenses, etc) but there must be something I can do to support her and help her through this all, especially with her family treating her so poorly.
Does anyone here have advice for what I can do to support my friend through this or even her every day life?
Thanks for your time.
DianaJoy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject:

A lot of the time, the best thing you can do to support your friend is to /be there/. Spending time, listening when your friend wants to talk, and including your friend in your life - all of that shows that you support your friend.
Jump to: 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Return to Forum Index -> Friends and Family of Survivors Page 1 of 1  All times are GMT