Return to Forum Index
FAQsFAQs  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   SearchSearch   GroupsGroups   ASCA Web siteASCA

Therapy advice for my daughter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chicandsavvy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Therapy advice for my daughter

My daughter (age 23) was sexually molested by an uncle one time when she was three. No memory. it's blocked, but she's having trouble with ocd habits and interpersonal relationships. Also, general anxiety. I've decided to tell her, but we're not close.

Would like input on therapist. Counselor, social worker, or psychotherapist. I don't know what to do. I love her, have known of this for years. I hoped she'd never need to know this happened to her, but that time is over.

The last of my courage and strength is reserved for telling her and helping her to get help. Me? i've been tortured over this for 20 years. Doesn't seem to matter much. I just want girl to be okay, find love, success, happiness. Open to suggestions. Having trouble finding someone for her to talk to. Help please. (BTW, my handle chicandsavvy is a generic anonymous handle. I don't fee very chic or savvy today.) Thanks in advance.
DianaJoy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Oh, what a tough situation for you to be in!

It might be good to start by finding a family therapist who has experience dealing with issues of adult survivors of childhood abuse. It really seems like it would be good for you and your daughter to have a therapist available to support you. I would look more at experience with adult survivors than for a specific type of therapist - each as it's pluses and minuses.

Good luck!
chicandsavvy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject:

Thank you. Will be working this out soon.
danh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Therapy advice for my daughter

Play or art therapy may help. There the unconscious comes out without direct question. You just give some dolls, etc and say play with them. Pretend they are family members. What are they doing now.

You'll be shocked what comes out.

I know of several stories where kids just blurted out, so and so did x to me, came out of nowhere.

I know of a guy who said to his father, you know what you did, even though he (the guy) didn't even know why he was saying it, until years later.
Jump to: 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Return to Forum Index -> Group Starters Page 1 of 1  All times are GMT