Return to Forum Index
FAQsFAQs  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   SearchSearch   GroupsGroups   ASCA Web siteASCA

Trying to help my possibly suicidal friend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Return to Forum Index -> Friends and Family of Survivors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tryingtohelp5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Trying to help my possibly suicidal friend

My friend was a victim of physical abuse as a child. He has not opened up about this to many people and I have been trying to help him. Lately he has started saying things that have made me believe he might be suicidal. I'm not sure how to help him. What do I do?
Curlygirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject:

It's wonderful that you're trying to help your friend! I went through training years ago to work on a crisis line - and what they actually tell you is to just ask straight out - are you considering suicide? I mean, put it in your own way. But you won't give anyone the idea. So don't worry about "suggesting" it to him. Just listen and don't judge and let us know how it goes!
Jump to: 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Return to Forum Index -> Friends and Family of Survivors Page 1 of 1  All times are GMT